North Star always welcomes new members with open arms! The requirements are pretty simple:
- Contact Faye Rader before coming so we can have music available (contact info below).
- Adults over the age of 18, although in special circumstances, high school age students may join with a good recommendation. (In rare cases, some sections may be full, but you can get on a waiting list.)
- Concert band experience is helpful. Don’t worry if you have not played for several years. Dust off the case and give it a try!
- Commit to attending rehearsals, although we understand that illness and family commitments could result in an occasional absence.
- No Grinches allowed!! We try to leave life at the door and come in and have a good time. We work hard and have fun!
We rehearse at Oak Park High School, 825 NE 79th Terr, KCMO, 64118
Rehearsals are Tuesday nights from 7:30 to 10:00. We meet from the first Tuesday after Labor Day until the last concert, usually late April or early May. Then we rehearse during the month of June for the 4th of July concert. So you get most of May off in addition to July and August.
There are also some opportunities to play in the pit band for Gladstone Theatre in the Park which involves rehearsals during June and/or July. Players needed depend on the show. See the Theatre in the Park tab for more details on that.
If you are interested, take a look at the members tab. You will find a typical schedule along with information for new members.
And more information on joining the North Star Community Band, contact director Faye Rader at 816-674-5120 or firstname.lastname@example.org